Monday, May 11, 2009

Anthony in Korea, Day 20, Monday, May 11, 2009










It’s hard to believe I’m at day 20 already, with just over a week left to go…

Today I met Dahee and Sunae at the coffee shop at Bangnae station and tutored them for 3.5 hours. Sunae did do the special homework assignment I gave her—even though she works every day and has other responsibilities, she took time out to write a short essay in response to our conversation about the media on Friday. [I took a photo of her essay, and it’s pasted in a separate post above. I encourage you to read it. Even though the grammar is flawed, her message, I think is clear. She is a bright and intelligent woman. I especially love the end of the essay where she writes that the media encourages Koreans to ‘lose individuality and have a massive public personality’ ].

I was about to head to my next destination when Sunae and Dahee, despite the heavy rain, asked if I wanted to see an old Korean shrine I’d noticed two weeks ago, but that I hadn’t gone into. I am SO HAPPY they encouraged me to go there today. I thought it was just an old gate, much like some of the gates I’ve posted photos of before; as a matter of fact, the gate guarded a series of shrines. Throughout the extensive grounds are large grassy mounds, under which, I believe, the caskets are located. Also, there was a lot of typical ‘oriental-style’ colorful architecture. One of the biggest dynasties on the history of Korea was the Joseon dynasty from about 500 years ago. One of the kings from that dynasty, as well as his sons, is enshrined in/around the buildings, all located on a large tract of land in the middle of the city. It was quite amazing to climb up the steps and narrow pathways, where we found ourselves high above the busy streets below. The shrine was just like a cemetery in that it was green and serene. The Bangbae area is so busy; it’s amazing that in the middle of the city a few dozen acres could be protected this way. Honestly, I expected more of Seoul to look this way before I arrived, but as it turned out a lot of old buildings and shrines have been razed and replaced with modern developments. Some, like the one I saw today, are too important to ever be destroyed. And thank goodness for that, because the tranquility and history they offer are such a pleasure to experience in this huge, busy city.

I was about to leave Dahee and Sunae when I mentioned I was going to have dinner at a vegetarian restaurant a few subway stops away. They said they were planning to go to McDonalds for dinner. After talking in Korean for a minute, they made their decision: they decided to come with me

The “New Start Vegetarian” restaurant Seolleung station was FABULOUS. I didn’t know until I got there that it was a rather famous restaurant; there are photos of it being mentioned on news programs on the walls. The best part is that it is BUFFET. So for 12,000 won (about 10 bucks), I had the absolute best food I’ve eaten so far in Seoul: “The best, Jerry, the best!” It was not a typical buffet where piles of food are in human troughs waiting to be consumed by slobs. In fact, this buffet was rather elegant. And all of the food was exquisitely prepared in an open kitchen behind the buffet, and all put on nice glass plates rather than steam-bins like American buffets. Among the foods were: spaghetti and vegetarian sauce; sesame leaves (a favorite in Korea); fig jam and sprouted wheat bread; broiled tofu with a delicious sweet and sour sauce; pumpkin and squash soup; wild brown rice; and, of course, kimchi. There were so many things that I wish I could remember them all [see photo of buffet]. Honestly, it was one of the best meals I’ve had in years; I will definitely go back again soon; and this meal reaffirmed my commitment to and love for vegetarian food. When you eat food like this you realize how completely unnecessary dairy and meat are to a pleasurable meal and a healthy human diet in general.

3 comments: